It's what I do

When thinking about what part of this book that stood the most, it is hard to choose. From normal experiences to harrowing tales many parts of her story stand out to me. However one does stand above the rest, Chapter 11 was one of the most harrowing things I have ever read. For the first time, I actually had anxiety when reading about what this group of journalists went through. To review the chapter it starts with them being detained at a military checkpoint by the Lybians. They are bound and blindfolded and put into a car while shells hit the area around them, after surviving that they are put into a troop transport to be moved. It was here that a male soldier started to grope Addario until another male soldier pulled her away. They were beaten multiple times on their way to Tripoli until finally they arrived and the Foreign Ministry then took them. It was a tossup between the Interior Ministry, who is infamous for torture or the Foreign ministry for who gets them. The Foreign ministry won, which was good because they were far more compassionate towards them. They were held in a VIP prison before with help from the Turkish embassy were released. This ordeal that they went to just showed how much danger they are actually in. Before reading this I never really thought about the person behind the camera until now. This is also where I found my favorite quote from the book.  "The fact is that trauma and risk-taking hadn't become the job, especially as journalists become more of a target themselves." This resonated with me because it shows how being in this environment can change you and just makes me think that if outsiders feel this way there how do their own citizens feel? It shows the physiological tole that her work has on her and how it has changed her.

I think what distinguished her the most is how unafraid she is to get in the action and shoot. It takes a rare person to want to shoot a warzone. But this is also her greatest strength, she gets these incredibly moving pictures that are shot in the middle of a crisis. Her work wouldn't be the sem if she wasn't in these environments.
Her duty to reporting news in the world is very commendable, but I also think she might be a little crazy too. While her passion for photography and journalism drive her to report these atrocities and share it with the world. She also risks her life every time she does it, I personally could not imagine being in an active warzone it looked and read like she was in hell at some points. You have to be a little crazy and have a sense of duty to be able to do what she does.

After reading this book one thing that helped me with my photojournalism is talking to people before shooting them so they seem more natural and relaxed before shooting. I used this for the most part of the work for my photo story. Just talking to the owners about clothes, and music before taking any photos and while I was taking them made them a lot more relaxed and lowered their guard.  

This picture is my favorite example of her work because it shows the horror of war and how dangerous it is where she is. It is a terrible photo to look at but you can't look away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 3

Portrait/Mug

RPG club